Friday, February 24, 2012

Member of the month

I thought it would be fun to have a member of the month spot highlighting one of our members each month. Here, you can find out a bit more about one of our members and see some samples of their work. Without further a-due, here's BMQG's first ever member of the month:

Alice Webb Greer!

Here's Alice, quilting at a football game. THAT'S dedication (or boredom??? LOL)

How did you get into quilting? :
I took my first quilting class when I was 12. My best friends' mother, probably to get rid of us for a few hours, arranged for us to take lessons from a neighbor. We hand pieced cute little calico pillows and hand quilted them with flowers. Not surprisingly it didn't stick but when I was 23 I decided I was going to learn to quilt again. I took a class and never stopped

# Completed quilts:
78, WOW!

What machine do you use:
Bernina Virtuosa 150 QE.

Favorite online fabric store:
Hawthorne Threads and Fat Quarter Shop. Quiltshops.com is great if you're looking for something specific but their shops don't always have a lot of modern stuff.

Favorite fabric shop:
Quilter's Way in West Concord.

Favorite pattern:
Sawtooth stars, flying geese, hexies, and anything made with HSTs.

Favorite fabric designer:
Jennifer Paganelli, Heather Ross, Tula Pink.

Favorite color:
Pink!

Favorite sewing-related thing to shop for:
Fabric. I once couldn't find my favorite leather thimbles so now I buy them whenever I see them and hoard them.

Solids or prints? :
Prints

Why you love to quilt:
The process of quilting definitely relaxes me and it's fairly practical since I'm always cold and spend my life snuggled under blankets. I'm also very tactile so I love the feeling of running my hands over fabrics and feeling the different textures and designs made by the quilting. Most of all I love the creative process of chopping up bits of fabric and putting them back together as something beautiful: )

Favorite size of quilt you like to make:
Throw/lap. Every time I make a bed size quilt I say never again... until the next time: )

Quilting or sewing skill you'd like to acquire:
This year I'm really trying to improve my FMQ and add some more designs to my repertoire, especially feathers.

Handquilting or machine quilting?:
I LOVE to handquilt and almost always have a handquilting project going but I'd never be able to finish all of my tops by hand so I use the machine or longarm.

Other sewing or crafts:
I dabble in anything that catches my interest (needlework, painted pottery and quilling most recently) and last year I started knitting again but I'm too obsessed with quilting/sewing to do much else on a regular basis.

Blog, website:

Etsy shop:
Coming soon: )


This is Alice's Nicey Jane WhirlyGiggle quilt. I love the pastel feel to it, perfect for a child or an adult or even as a snuggle quilt.


Alice calls this one Ghastlies Coffin. This is my favorite of the three! I love the colors, I love the Tim Burtonesque lines to it. But most of all, I love the Edward Gorey feel to it. (Great picture, by the cemetary too. Coolness!)


Last but not least, this is Alice's Pips Zig Zag quilt. I love the mix of colors here. Anyone who's ever said red doesn't go with pink, you are WRONG! Nice, crisp, straight lines, great technique. It is beautiful!

Thanks for sharing your story with us Alice. I know I speak for everyone when I say it was fun to learn more about you and see your talent!

Mel
xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to enjoy these. I always love seeing what Alice comes up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think this is going to be pretty fun! It will give everyone a chance to get to know each other better, especially newcomers and more timid members. :)

    ReplyDelete